Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Special Way To Start And End The Day

Having a warm mug of something delicious is one of those things that elevates an ordinary morning and makes a quiet evening special.    When I first got my copy of Nourishing Traditions, one of the first recipes I made was Chicken Coconut Soup.  I found it to be amazingly delicious and comforting and I started to make it on an almost daily basis, drinking it in the morning and at bedtime from a mug.  It is warm and comforting, lifting my spirits, soothing my tummy, and making me feel mellow and relaxed.  To make it even better, I know that the bone broth and the coconut milk have health promoting elements like minerals, healthy fats, and are healing for my gut.
Many times I have gone to make this soup and found that I was missing one or more of the ingredients.  However, it is delicious and satisfying when simply made with broth, coconut milk, and salt.  It is even better when one or more of the flavoring elements are added.     
1 quart homemade broth (chicken is my favorite, but any type of bone broth will do)
1 cup coconut milk
1 Tbsp finely minced  fresh garlic
1 Tbsp finely minced onions
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Lemon or lime juice from half a lemon/lime
Fish sauce or salt to taste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Method:
Heat the broth to a slow boil and add the coconut milk.  Turn it down to a simmer.  Add the garlic, onions, ginger, and pepper flakes .
Simmer for about 30 minutes. 
Add lemon/lime juice and fish sauce or salt.  Taste it and adjust, if needed.
Ladle into a mug or bowl and add cilantro.
Enjoy inhaling the flavorful steam as you sip.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe! I thoroughly enjoyed this delightful and soothing soup. Thanks so much for opening a whole new world of excellent eating ideas.
    Tray Sapp

    ReplyDelete